Tuesday, April 24, 2012

I Left the Phone At Home!

It started out as an accident.  I left the iPhone plugged into its charger in its usually spot when I left the house for an 8 a.m. Continuing Legal Ed class this morning.  I was about three minutes away from the house when I realized it.  My initial reaction was PANIC! 

Then, I stopped and thought about it. School had both my mobile number and my husband's. If something happened to the kids, they would call him when I didn't answer. Not so bad.

So, off I went. Yes, I did have my laptop at the interminable and boring CLE. Yes, there was wireless access, so I was able to avoid the boring topic by looking for ideas for organizing a craft area in the house. Yes, I was a bit miffed when I realized I couldn't call the pharmacy ahead of getting there with the prescription renewals, but so what?

I finished the CLE class at noon. I ran some errands. I came home. And you know what -- I had only missed one call, which I returned. It was liberating in a way.

What did I learn?


  • I did not have to have my phone with me all the time.
  • I did not have to check my email or Facebook every 10 minutes.
  • The world did not end.
  • I was able to be in the moment -- for just a short bit of time.
Maybe, I need to do this more often.

No comments: