Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Too much time has passed

In so many ways. Today, I celebrate the arrival of my now 10-year-old daughter. This time, 10 years ago, I was patiently waiting for the anesthesiologist to arrive to give me the epidural for my c-section. We talked about the lawyers who handled his last malpractice case -- some folks I knew. I was still practicing law back then.

The C-section was supposed to be at 9 a.m., but we got pushed back when someone else had to push. Literally. So, at 11:53 a.m., she arrived -- 9 lbs., 2 oz. and about three weeks early. She was too big to incubate any longer. She had a full head of black hair and yelled quite a bit. I remember thinking she was so small -- I was going to break her. Then, in the recovery room, I heard nurses talking about the twins just delivered at 4 lbs. each. I felt some relief that she wasn't that small!

And I remember, a few days later when they were going to discharge us from the hospital thinking -- shouldn't someone call Child Services? I have no idea what I'm doing. And we have all learned along the way. Diaper changes, breast feeding, potty training, pre-school, and on and on.

We all figured it out.

She is a beautiful young woman now. Still with a head of very long hair -- mostly brown. She's going to have about 10 inches cut to give to Locks of Love. She is filled, as they say at her school, with the Spirit of Mercy.

She is kind and caring. Always worrying about how someone else feels and what she can do to make things better for them. She is smart and curious, a quick learner in many ways.

I cannot believe it has been 10 years. I am blessed to have her in my life and blessed to have so many others in my life because of her. There was a group of moms I met 10 years ago this fall -- at a new mother's group. They are some of my best friends to this day. We have seen many things together.

I am blessed that my dad was able to be part of her life. We all miss him and the big deal he made of birthdays. But we will sing loudly in his honor tonight as we have pancakes and bacon for dinner -- her request.

I am blessed by her beauty -- both inside and out. I love her more than words can say.
Happy Birthday - Sweetie Pie!

No comments: